The Muskoka Hornets are pleased to announce that David Gemmell – copied - agreed to be head coach for our 2018 Muskoka Hornets Rookie Select team. We are looking for additional volunteers to help David with coaching and administration (but decisions on coaching staff will be left up to David completely).
Contact Info - David Gemmell - 647--515-8478 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As many of you know, several of our rookie aged players have been training indoors the past couple months alongside our Mosquito players. Based on interest to date, we believe there are enough talented rookie players interested to form a competitive travel select team (note: most of the players training indoors have been from Gravenhurst – we believe there will be additional interest from our Huntsville rookie-aged players once winter activities end. Final decisions on players on the team will be left up to David and his coaching staff).
Depending on interest and timing of confirmations, this team will either be like last year's rookies – tourney and exhibition games only – or additionally part of the YSBA rookie select loop.
We would like to keep track of players interested in playing on this team and hope that interested players could attend at least one of the three next indoor sessions to be assessed by the coaches. These upcoming practice dates are Saturday March 10, March 17 and March 24 at Gravenhurst Public School from 11 am - 1 pm (301 Mary St. S, Gravenhurst) each week.
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
- How much will it cost to play Hornets Rookie Select? Either $300 in total or $395 – the final fee will depend on whether the team plays in the YSBA loop in addition to tourneys (note: this fee includes house league);
- How much baseball is involved? One or two practices per week and typically games on one weekend date if included in the YSBA loop – in this case, we would anticipate 12-16 league games (played as doubleheaders) and at least two tournaments (one is the Muskoka Cup on July 20-22);
- How many players will be on the team? Approximately 12 players will be on the team with possibly some additional subs;
- Does my child need to be really advanced to make the team? Management of the Hornets is committed to fielding competitive teams. That said, a 12 person roster of rookies will include a wide range in talents given many players are just starting their baseball journey. The coaching staff will pick the team based on level of skill, attitude and potential for improvement.
- Is this open to boys and girls? Yes
- What equipment is needed to play? Please see post on our website outlining equipment needs for players. For the rookie selects, a complete uniform and player bag is included in the registration fee. Each player is expected to have his or her own bat, helmet and jock or jill. Team equipment including catcher's gear will be provided by the Hornets.
- What if our family goes away for vacation? While player decisions are left up to the coaching staff, it is normal to assume players will NOT be available to attend all games and practices. This is the reason why teams will sometimes carry extra players as subs. That said, please make the coach aware of any conflicts.
- What age group is rookie? Rookie is 2009 and 2010 birth years – 2011s are also invited to try out.
- Where will games and practices occur? The YSBA loop encompasses the area north of Toronto to Muskoka. The exact teams in the YSBA loop will be determined by level of interest in local communities. Games for Muskoka are typically preferenced for northern opponents such as Orillia and Barrie and occur as doubleheaders on weekend dates. Practice locations and times need to be finalized but will be in Muskoka.
- What if we cannot find enough players to form a competitive team? This will mean that the rookie players will be in house league only. It is a requirement for our younger aged players on travel teams to also play house league each week.
We hope to see you out in March. If your son or daughter is interested in trying out for the Muskoka Hornets rookie travel baseball team but you cannot make it to one of the next three practices, then please let us know so we can record the level of interest.
Yours in Baseball